Vernon Community Academy
Vernon Community Academy seeks to provide learning opportunities that develop exceptional literacy and numeracy competencies in students, while concurrently developing:
- Social and Emotional Growth and Development
- Cooperative Learning
- Service Learning
- Home-School Partnerships
- Learning with Technology
- Formative Assessment
- Inquiry-based Approaches
The curriculum is Ministry standard. Meeting B.C. Ministry of Education learning out-comes in all curricular areas.
Inclusion and diversity will be a cornerstone of this program.
- Learners at the centre
- The social nature of learning
- Emotions as integral to learning
- Recognizing individual differences
- Stretching all students
- Assessment for learning
- Building horizontal connectedness
"A flexible schedule allows the Academy to take up co-constructed projects based on students' passions and integrated with subject-based and cross-curricular competencies. " Dr. Leyton Schnellert
- City of Vernon
- Junction Literacy
- Okanagan Science Centre
- Bishop Bird Sanctuary
- Allen Brooks Nature Centre
- Vernon District Immigrant Services Society
- The Upper Room Mission
- Okanagan College
- University of British Columbia - Okanagan
- Fresh Grade
Who may participate?
Grade 7,8,9. those interested might be:
- present student from grades 6/7 class in Ellison know as "The Ozone"
- home schooled students who prefer a learning opportunity that is more communal and less isolated
- learners with diverse and complex needs who presently not successful in classrooms that lean toward traditional practices and who live all over the school district.
Vernon Community School Application will be available for 2016-2017 year in January of 2016 You can register with your application by:
1. In catchment students with the form to Fulton
2. Out of catchment students complete a transfer form
3. Home school student register in person at Fulton