SWBA is a full semester SD #22 program for grade 11/12 students in BC, hosted at Kalamalka Secondary School.
APPLICATIONS ARE BEING PROCESSED - WE ARE IN A HOLDING PATTERN WAITING FOR THE WORLD TO SETTLE FROM COVID-19.
SWBA APPLICATION Deadline Mar 13, 2020 Teacher Reference Form Non-Teacher/Non-Family Reference Form
SWBA SEES LASTING EDUCATION AS A PASSIONATE JOURNEY TOWARDS APURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE WITH SAFER COMMUNITIES AND MORE INCLUSIVE SOCIETIES. WE BELIEVE IN EDUCATION WHERE SUCCESS IS DEFINED BEYOND GRADES AND EXAMS, AND THE UNKNOWN AND FAILURE ARE EMBRACED AS AN INTEGRAL PART OF THE LEARNING EXPERIENCE. WE IMAGINE LEARNING SPACES THAT GENERATE LOVE, JUSTICE & EQUALITY - THE CORE BUILDING BLOCKS OF A PEACEFUL AND SUSTAINABLE WORLD.
SWBA is working with BC’s new curriculum - Students will complete all requirements for:
- Spoken Language/English 11 or English Studies 12
- Intro to Spanish or Spanish 11
- Leadership 11 or 12
- Social Justice 12 or Social Studies 11
- Comparative Cultures 12
- The Prestigious Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award
THERE ARE NO ONLINE COURSES IN THE PROGRAM - All courses are completed in the classroom with field study supplements.
The following are some of the OUT OF CLASSROOM adventures and highlights of the SWBA semester:
- Initiation/Bootcamp at Eagle Bay
- Full week hosting of "Out Of Province Kids" with local adventures and leadership retreat (Experiences Canada)
- Full week travel and tours (with flights) to another Province - (Experiences Canada)
- Weekly connection with local community agencies - becoming community builders
- World renowned guest speakers through UBC and others
- 5 week field study/odyssey to Panama Central America
- 1 week home stay in small fishing village
- local artisan lessons
- surfing in Pacific / Scuba in Caribbean
- Turtle Hatchery Vigil - Green Sea Turtles
- Primate Rehab ( Howler Monkey) volunteering
- Coral Reef ecology with Smithsonian Institute
- Coffee/Chocolate/Banana Fair Trade Tours
- So Much More......
ALSO: SWBA facilitates enjoyable employment (through a local buisness) for students looking for work to help pay for SWBA fees. bursaries are also available for students who qualify.
WHAT RECENT STUDENTS ARE SAYING...
- “We started as strangers and left as family”
- “Challenging in the classroom and even more challenging
in the field”
- “There is no better way to get ready for our changing world”
- “A whole new way of learning – deep learning”
- “The program was worth every penny – even before the field study in Panama”
WHAT RECENT PARENTS ARE SAYING...
- “My daughter was inspired to make a difference in the very first week”
- “I saw fundamental changes in the way my child looks at the world”
- “We were included in the process and informed all along the way”
- “My son looks forward to going to school like never before”
- “The program is not to be missed – outstanding from start
Students Without Borders Academy
Designed to provide 21st century perspective
Education is changing. The world for which we are preparing students today is fundamentally different from the one many of us experienced growing up. Today's societies are marked by new global economic, cultural, technological and environmental trends that are part of a rapid and uneven wave of globalization. The Students Without Borders Academy addresses these changes and prepares students for the challenges of change ahead.
YOU NEVER CHANGE THINGS BY FIGHTING THE EXISTING REALITY. TO CHANGE SOMETHING, BUILD A NEW MODEL THAT MAKES THE EXISTING MODEL OBSOLETE. — RICHARD BUCKMINSTER FULLER
Find us on Facebook:
Email questions to Dave Fehr