Students will learn practical skills and industry requirements for a variety of trades. The program will focus on (but is not limited to) the following trades: Carpentry, Construction Craft Worker, Plumbing, Aircraft Maintenance, Electrical and Sheet Metal. The will also learn how to access further training, apprenticeship and employment.
Students 16-18 years old, One Semester, 16 Credits
Applications Due : March 30, 2018, Apply via email to Kathy Wickum, District Principal Career Education and Curriculum.
This program is designed to provide students with practical knowledge and theoretical experience in a variety of trades sectors. Students will gain the first-hand knowledge necessary to make an informed Trades career decision.
- Stage 1 – Program application and interview process (January - March 2018)
- Stage 2 – SD22 pre-Gateway with SD22 Teacher (September - October, 2018)
- Stage 3 – "Gateway" at Vernon Okanagan College Trades Centre with OC Instructor (October – December, 2018)
- Stage 4 – SD22 Post-Gateway programming (January, 2019)
- Grade 10 - 12 students
- On track to graduate
- tactile/kinesthetic learners
- have a strong desire to explore a possible career in the Trades
Recommendations for Success:
- Good work ethic
- daily and punctual attendance is mandatory
- good hand-eye coordination
- willingness to ask questions and engage
- commitment to complete the program