10 Reasons to Read to Your Child Tonight
1. When you hold them and give them this attention, they know you love them.
2. Reading to them will encourage them to become readers.
3. Children's books are so good that they are fun even for adults.
4. Illustrations in children's books often rank with the best, giving children a lifelong feeling for good art.
5. Books are one way of passing on your values.
6. Books will enable your child's imagination to soar.
7. Until they learn to read themselves, they will think you are magic.
8. Every teacher and librarian they ever encounter will thank you.
9. They might turn off the TV or video games.
10. You'll get a chance to read some great books you missed when you were a kid.
From "Better learning - BC's Magazine for Parents & Students", Spring 2000. BC Ministry of Education